Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Exploding" lawn mower destroys family's home

A resident of Johns Creek north of Atlanta started more than just his lawn mower when he tugged at the machine's pull chord in the garage of his two-story brick home.

The mower exploded, starting a fire that destroyed Danny Fendley's home in the hot, parched conditions Tuesday afternoon. Fendley said the mower backfired and burst into flames.

He tried to put out the fire himself, but he told firefighters it spread to one of his cars and then to the house. His wife didn't help the cause when she tried to toss a can of gasoline away from the fire, but dropped it. Gas spread across the floor of the garage and caught fire.

The flames engulfed the house in less than a minute. The two escaped without serious injury. Fulton County Fire Lieutenant Gregory Chambers says the house is gone. In his words, "There's not even one brick standing." » Article here

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Back to Across-the-Board Blog