Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Doctors find 11 cm worm in woman's eye

Doctors at a clinic in central Serbia, have removed an 11 centimetre-long intestinal worm from a woman's eye socket.

According to preliminary results, the worm taken from the 37-year-old patient's eye belongs to the Ascaris family, a common intestinal parasite in pigs that is also found in humans.

No similar case has ever been recorded in Serbia and probably in Europe, Radomir Stojicevic, a doctor at the Kragujevac clinic, told the Tanjug news agency.

The parasite had probably travelled through the patient's blood from the digestive tract into the eye socket, doctors at the clinic believe.

I apologize for the graphic image- however, you have to admit- pretty crazy looking isn’t it!?! EWWW! Article here.

3 Comments:

At 2/22/2006 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blaaaarrrrghghhg! uh, excuse me,Blaaaaaaakdeiieiwlkjghgghg!

 
At 2/22/2006 3:24 PM, Blogger jeff said...

Americans.... will we never learn metric?

That's 11mm - or 1.1cm long. Still pretty disgusting, but less than half an inch as opposed to around 4.3 inches.

 
At 2/22/2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Ramsey Mohsen said...

Jeff, I'm glad you pointed that out. FYI, that picture I used is from a different surgery. However, it pretty much get's the point across about the real worm that was really found in patients eye... 4.3 inches long worm. Gross. I think I just puked in my mouth again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Back to Across-the-Board Blog