Just some of my thoughts...
Well, this work week is finally over and I couldn’t be more glad. Let’s just say there were long nights trying to complete some deliverables on all my active Projects at work.
On top of all of that, one night while I was working late I managed to drop my life a.k.a. my cell phone (Treo 650), and I totally cracked the screen (see below). Sucks doesn’t it? Well, I don’t have insurance, which is fine because Sprint only charges a flat $50 to repair it. Which… still kind of baffles me. If you think about it… most people pay $10 a month for insurance for their cell phone – but it only costs a flat $50 to fix it if you don’t have insurance? Why the heck would anyone pay a monthly charge if it’s only a one time $50 charge to fix the phone if you break it? Whatever.
For those of you who may remember, back in October’ish I tore my ACL (knee). Well today I had a follow-up morning doctor appointment just to review progress. When I got there, at 9:00 AM, the secretary made me sit and a chair and wait up until about 9:15. Which is fine, but I knew I had to leave at 9:30 in order to make it in time for a meeting I had with a client. So… tactfully I proceeded to nurse and said something to the extent of, “look I’m not trying force you to bring out the doctor, but I have a meeting I cannot be late for today, and when the clock hits 9:30 I’m walking out the door no questions asked.” The nurse looked at me befuddled and said, “uh, er, let me see what I can work out for you”. At that point, I didn’t know what to expect – she could of very well come back and say ‘sorry, make another appointment’. But… sure enough 30 seconds later the doctor walked in, looked at my knee for grand total of 3 minutes, and I was in my car by 9:28 in time for my meeting.
What’s my point? Nothing really, except waiting at the doctors office sucks ass, and no one should ever have to wait longer than they are needed. End of story.-- Ramsey
5 Comments:
Thats fine I once waited 3 hours for the doctor told me to tell me that I had pink eye. The best part about it, I knew I had it when I woke up that morning and peeled my eyelids apart and they had to run tests to tell me thats what I had. It was the last day of school and I was searched by the principle because he thought that I was stoned. Come to find out later he thought that he got pink eye 3 days later. lol
Insurance covers theft I believe. At least it does where I am.
Damien: 3 hours waiting at the doctor to tell you something you already knew? Ouch. I feel for you man. Pretty funny that the 'doc' got pink eye himself... what goes around comes around...
Anonymous: yeah, your right that insurance covers theft -- but I'd like to think I'm responsible/smart enough not to lose my phone or put myself in compromising situations where my phone might be stolen. Or at least neither of those things have happened to me so far (knock, on wood) :)
Look, I love the blog, but I have to disagree with you on this. As Ann Landers once famously said, "Complain when you have to wait at the hairdresser's -- not the doctor's office." Doctors are saving lives -- and if not, they're helping people maintain their health. That can't be measured quantitatively. You never know if the man ahead of you just remembered to ask about those chest pains he had a few weeks back. As Ann said, if you go to the doctor's, bring a book or some knitting and don't complain about having to wait. There's probably someone who needs those extra minutes.
Kate, wow – why you’re absolutely right. I think Ann Landers was pretty much dead on how to be patient when it comes to your health. While I totally agree that doctors are great people (my dad’s a physician), my one-dimensional rant was merely to vent my frustration,
Annnnd I’m totally guilty of living a fast pace life in which I’m always wanting keep myself occupied and busy. However, it's hard for me to ever accept that certain things in life just aren’t meant to be rushed -- specifically medical care.
Post a Comment
<< Back to Across-the-Board Blog